Where: Ocado Technology Hub
When: June 19th 2019, 19:00
Who: Ivan St. Ivanov
The world is changing. And enterprise application development as well. For years the goal was to have a stable ground that allowed for long and unstoppable life of the apps. Development experience and quick deployment turnaround cycles were always a second priority. And were often fixed by automagic tools and frameworks. Startup time was another aspect that was not really important. And there was not a reason to be for applications that ran for months without a single restart.
But as we said, the world is changing. Flexible payment models offered by serverless put the startup time on a different perspective. And the emergence of quick turnaround and immediate feedback platforms like Node.JS and Python questioned the negligence that Java used to have for developers’ experience.
The world is changing, so is Java. 2019 saw the proliferation of new breed of Java platforms. In this session we are going to look at one of them: Quarkus.io. Born in the dawn of March, it quickly got traction with its almost revolutionary features.
Come to this session to see some of these features in action:
- Refresh on save for Java applications
- Supersonic start with and without Graal VM
- Subatomic size of the deployment with and without application server
- Awesome development experience for working with databases
- Integration with Kafka for messaging and Prometheus for metrics
- Super fast integration testing
- Support for core Java EE technologies and MicroProfile
To help us organize the event and plan the beers and snacks, please register here: https://quarkus-bgjug.eventbrite.com
See you soon!